From Feet to Painting

Weather has turned a little cold and we’ve had some rain, so I got to work in the garage this last weekend.

It was a mix bag, from cleaning up space to work to jumping between painting some parts, cutting the skins and fitting the battery boxes and hoses. I also tried to troubleshoot some issues I’m having, like the dome speed rotation, but more of that later.

First up I really needed to make space to totally disassembled R2. I’d been dreading it and a few events throughout the summer kinda gave me an excuse to avoid it. Even though he’s not finished it’s still been fun driving him around and people love him.

So I started off by breaking him down and inspected parts for wear, missing screws etc.

I never did get a coat of undercoat on the center foot before C4, and some surface rust had set in. I was also surprised how well the omniball castor’s have held up given the terrain I’ve run him over.

Center Foot

Center Foot omni ball

A once over with some sandpaper removed the rust from all the center foot parts and I was able to give them a coat paint.

I also inspected my center ankle for any problems. George Luck broke a JAG center ankle right after C4 and I was a little worried about mine, but all the joints looked fine. I’ve heard of two ankles breaking now, and both times the droids had done a long cross country trek for C4. I’m wondering if that’s the problem rather than every day wear and tear. To be on the safe side I had ordered a spare center ankle from Jerry just in case, but hopefully I’ll not need to use it anytime soon :)

JAG Ankle - Weld Inspection

Next up, I finally drilled the holes in the outer feet for the Knurled Hose Fittings (KHF). I had a bit of trouble securing the the foot on my drill press, so had to use my cordless hand drill instead, problem was the drill bit would not fit. I had to use my stepping bit instead. I don’t think it like it much as the steel feet are pretty tough – but it got the job done.

The Kurled Hose Fittings only just arrived last week from Doug and they have a nice feature where the hose is easily secured with a screw-in plug.

Knurled Hose Fittings

With the KFL I also got some new braided hoses, but I wasn’t too keen on how gold they were. I much prefer the original copper one’s I got some time ago.

I had to insert some tubing into the braided hoses to make sure they held their shape and secure the hose in place inside the KHF.

Now comes the kicker with the KHF – there’s always a kicker right? They hit the main drive wheel once I got things back together

I even switched out to using regular nuts, but it looks like I’ll need to trim the KHF’s down by half

I decided to move on to cutting the back of the battery boxes to accommodated the big NPC motors. I couldn’t find a template anywhere, so it was a bit of trial and error. I started off with cutting the smallest hole I could, traced from the matching hole in the foot. It wasn’t big enough to slide down and over the motor so I gradually made things bigger until thinks worked. Once the box is in place you’ll not be able to notice the hole.

I’ll try and create a PDF template later tonight to share [update – here’s the template]

Cut Battery Boxes

I also had to grind down the motor in three spots. In the Dave Painter tutorial it looks like you only need to grind the top sides of the motor, but I also had to grind the bottom outside edge too

So here’s the first foot assembled with the motor encased in the battery box ready for painting. Next step battery harnesses.

As I said at the start of this blog entry, I did a lot more on R2 over the weekend, but I’ll stop here for now.

As always more photos in the gallery section.

Posted by Chris on November 13th, 2007 in Feet, Finish/Paint | 6 Comments

Tags: , , , , , ,

6 Responses

  1. Brenda Thomas remarks on

    Wow!!!! that looks good very nice paint JOB!!!! what kind of Casters did you use?? Brenda

  2. Jerry Greene remarks on

    WOW, nice foot drive! Where did you get that from? hehehehehe.

  3. Chris remarks on

    Hi Brenda

    They’re ‘spherical wheels’ from Outwater Plastics, product # M50PBR-BK. Around $15 ea.

    http://www.outwatercatalogs.com

    McMaster Carr sell them too, and some people refer to them as Omni wheels or castors.

    Hope this helps
    Chris

  4. Chris remarks on

    Hi Jerry

    Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for the drive system 😉

    Cheers
    Chris

  5. Brenda Thomas remarks on

    Thanks Chris yes it helps a lot I love your Blog ; )

  6. ARTOO-DETOO DOT NET - R2-D2 Building Blog » Blog Archive » Knurled Hose Fittings remarks on

    […] posted a few weeks ago that I had a problem with the bolts on the Knurled Hose Fittings (KHF) hitting the drive wheel in the foot. Well I finally got around […]

Leave a Comment

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

Subscribe without commenting