More Painting

I started painting some more parts last week, including the feet, ankles and boxes. I also stripped down the drive system and decided to give it the once over too.

Base coat was just Rustolum gray primer. Plan is to do at least two coats of undercoat followed by 3 coats of the Rustolum Satin white.

Here’s the inner drive system supports all finished. I’m sure they’ll get all scratched up in no time, but I wanted to protect them the best I could.

I also masked off some parts today ready for more priming tomorrow. I used the latex rubber trick to get into those hard to tape spots.

I used a combination of a small pointed file and Q-tip to remove any excess latex. It came off pretty easy. What seem to work was to wait a few minutes for it to start to set, and then just pick at it with the file and the latex would just peel away at the edge. For larger blob on the surface I just used the Q-tip.

It works so well I decided to use it on some others parts that I could have just used tape on, like the shoulder recesses, but thought it quicker to use the latex instead. I guess I’ll find out tomorrow if I over did it.

Here’s the recess where under shoulder detail goes right before I painted in the latex on the sides.

With a bit of luck I’ll get to painting things white in a day or so.

More photos in the gallery.

Posted by Chris on November 23rd, 2007 in Finish/Paint | No Comments

Tags: , , ,

From Feet to Painting

Weather has turned a little cold and we’ve had some rain, so I got to work in the garage this last weekend.

It was a mix bag, from cleaning up space to work to jumping between painting some parts, cutting the skins and fitting the battery boxes and hoses. I also tried to troubleshoot some issues I’m having, like the dome speed rotation, but more of that later.

First up I really needed to make space to totally disassembled R2. I’d been dreading it and a few events throughout the summer kinda gave me an excuse to avoid it. Even though he’s not finished it’s still been fun driving him around and people love him.

So I started off by breaking him down and inspected parts for wear, missing screws etc.

I never did get a coat of undercoat on the center foot before C4, and some surface rust had set in. I was also surprised how well the omniball castor’s have held up given the terrain I’ve run him over.

Center Foot

Center Foot omni ball

A once over with some sandpaper removed the rust from all the center foot parts and I was able to give them a coat paint.

I also inspected my center ankle for any problems. George Luck broke a JAG center ankle right after C4 and I was a little worried about mine, but all the joints looked fine. I’ve heard of two ankles breaking now, and both times the droids had done a long cross country trek for C4. I’m wondering if that’s the problem rather than every day wear and tear. To be on the safe side I had ordered a spare center ankle from Jerry just in case, but hopefully I’ll not need to use it anytime soon 🙂

JAG Ankle - Weld Inspection

Next up, I finally drilled the holes in the outer feet for the Knurled Hose Fittings (KHF). I had a bit of trouble securing the the foot on my drill press, so had to use my cordless hand drill instead, problem was the drill bit would not fit. I had to use my stepping bit instead. I don’t think it like it much as the steel feet are pretty tough – but it got the job done.

The Kurled Hose Fittings only just arrived last week from Doug and they have a nice feature where the hose is easily secured with a screw-in plug.

Knurled Hose Fittings

With the KFL I also got some new braided hoses, but I wasn’t too keen on how gold they were. I much prefer the original copper one’s I got some time ago.

I had to insert some tubing into the braided hoses to make sure they held their shape and secure the hose in place inside the KHF.

Now comes the kicker with the KHF – there’s always a kicker right? They hit the main drive wheel once I got things back together

I even switched out to using regular nuts, but it looks like I’ll need to trim the KHF’s down by half

I decided to move on to cutting the back of the battery boxes to accommodated the big NPC motors. I couldn’t find a template anywhere, so it was a bit of trial and error. I started off with cutting the smallest hole I could, traced from the matching hole in the foot. It wasn’t big enough to slide down and over the motor so I gradually made things bigger until thinks worked. Once the box is in place you’ll not be able to notice the hole.

I’ll try and create a PDF template later tonight to share [update – here’s the template]

Cut Battery Boxes

I also had to grind down the motor in three spots. In the Dave Painter tutorial it looks like you only need to grind the top sides of the motor, but I also had to grind the bottom outside edge too

So here’s the first foot assembled with the motor encased in the battery box ready for painting. Next step battery harnesses.

As I said at the start of this blog entry, I did a lot more on R2 over the weekend, but I’ll stop here for now.

As always more photos in the gallery section.

Posted by Chris on November 13th, 2007 in Feet, Finish/Paint | 6 Comments

Tags: , , , , , ,