I’ve almost finished the electronics and programming to control the new hinged pie panels. I’m using a small 18X PICAXE micro-controller coupled with a few buttons on the RF remote.
Check out the video of the panels in action.
I’m also in the process of replacing the veclro that attaches the servos to the dome with something a bit more permanent. The brackets are made from aluminum angle (1.5″x1.5″ and 1/16″ thick).
They’re attached to the top of the hinge and the bolts from the mounting plate that already fix to the dome.
As a side note, if I was doing this again I’d adjust the hinge position a tad. The pies open to the vertical position, but it would have been nice if they’d open a little further, and I figured out (too late) that the lower the hinge is on the pie panel the further it will open – but too far and the hinge will not clear the dome properly.
Here’s a couple of shots of my “finished” charging port and bracket and the associated wiring and electronics before I mounted it. I say “finished”, because I’m currently redesigning the circuit again to accommodate for charging two sets of batteries to work around the RoboteQ problem I experienced at WonderCon.
I ended up soldering the LED array to a small board. They were okay as standalone strings, but mounting them permanently to the bracket was easier this way. The ribbon cable on the left runs to the PICAXE board, and I braced it to make sure the wires wouldn’t pull out
Here it is installed in back of the port bracket
I added a length of acrylic to the original aluminum bracket to mount the additional electronics on it
Here’s the PICAXE board mounted. It drives the LED array
Almost done. I wired in the relay and switch that runs to the main fuse block and batteries.
The relay is hard to see, but click on the image to see the large image and the relay is on the top right of the photo