Hiding Drive Wires

Here’s another retroactive post about something I worked on a few months ago.

One of the challenges is passing the drive wires that goes from the ankle into the foot shell. Some people use the totally hidden/invisible method where slots are cut in the side of the ankle and foot shell very close to the bolt. Here’s an example of Wayne O’s setup using this method.

Space is tight and things have to be perfectly aligned or you run the risk of chopping the wires when the ankle pivots. It’s also virtually impossible to add grommets so over time my worry is that the wire may wear. edit 9/7/07 – Wayne just informed me that his setup above has been working fine for over a year and half without any problems or wear and tear.

I was on a time crunch and not sure if I was up to marking and cutting such precise slots, so I opted for the more conventional method of drilling holes in the foot shell just behind the ankle and corresponding hole in bottom of the ankle.

My wires are pretty think and by my calculation I needed a chunky grommet, but I couldn’t find anything suitable so had to improvise. Instead I used a short length of opaque tubing which passes through from the ankle into the leg. Not only does it protecting the wires it also hide them.

This is the inside of the Ankle

And the Foot Shell

Tube passing from the ankle into the foot shell

I also used the same hose in the top of the legs/shoulder to protect the wire as it passes into the body.

Posted by Chris on August 6th, 2007 in Electronics, Feet, Legs | 2 Comments

Tags: , , , , ,

Quick Tip – Masking Parts

Here’s a quick tip when painting those hard to mask parts like the groves on the Booster Covers and inside surfaces of Power Couplers.

I wanted to use rubber latex to mask of my parts but for the life of me I couldn’t find any in local stores. Short of time and rushing for C4 I came up with an alternative – Elmers Rubber Cement – which is made from mostly Latex. It’s readily available at most craft stores. It’s goes on clear so somewhat hard to apply as it’s hard to see where you’ve already covered.

If you can get Liquid Latex then I’d recommend using it – but in a pinch the Rubber Cement worked for me.

Masking Hard to Paint Parts with Rubber Cement

Posted by Chris on August 5th, 2007 in Finish/Paint | 2 Comments

Tags: , ,

Dome Bumps / Switches

My dome has a self contained power system, and I wanted to use the dome bumps as switches. Rather than re-invest the wheel I decided to copy what Victor had already done as it looked like a great solution.

The switches are from Radio Shack, Part #275-693. The original surrounds on the switches are square’ish and need rounding.

Here’s the switches before and after sanding. I carefully spun them against a bench sander to remove the corners.

Here they are all painted and ready to install

There is a catch to painting them. You basically have to do it twice because once you flip the switch it exposes an area that the paint can’t reach on the first pass.

Next up I had to drill out the inner and outer dome for the switches, but the drill bit I had wasn’t quite big enough so I had to fill down the last bit to get a good fit.

Dome switch holes

Posted by Chris on June 18th, 2007 in Dome, Electronics | No Comments

Tags: , ,